Seven new electric vehicle charging stations will serve visitors of Rolling Hills Estates City Hall, two adjoining parks and an equestrian center.

Coinciding with Earth Day in April, the city of Rolling Hills Estates activated seven new electric vehicle charging stations (EVCS). The stations provide 12 new connections in the city hall parking lot, boosting the location’s total to 14.

The Level 2, 240-volt charging stations—including two that are disabled-access compliant—can be used by the public 24/7. Each provides a full charge for most 100% battery electric vehicles in four to eight hours, and for hybrid (electric and gas vehicles) in one to two hours.

Rolling Hills Estates Councilmember Debby Stegura, who chairs the Environmental Advisory Committee, said the committee recommended the expansion of EVCS infrastructure to further the city’s commitment to environmental stewardship and reduce its carbon footprint.

The installation is a culmination of the city’s participation in the Southern California Edison (SCE) Charge Ready program, which leverages funds for the design and installation of EVCS. The program incorporates smart technology that provides the ability to efficiently manage user fees, analyze station usage and produce energy and greenhouse gas emission reports. These reports provide data useful to the city’s Climate Action Plan, implemented through the South Bay Cities Council of Governments.

A Charge Ready grant covers 80% of project costs. The remaining 20%, including the purchase of the stations and signage, derives from a Local Government Partnership Program grant by the Air Quality Management District and Mobile Source Air Pollution Reduction Review Committee, along with city park facility funds, due to the lot’s service to two adjoining parks and an equestrian center. In addition, SCE offers a post installation station rebate to the city of approximately $725 per port.

A benefit of the EV Connect system is that is can be accessed by the user through an iOS/Android mobile app, which provides 24/7 support and tracks personal station usage.

Users will pay $.24 per kilowatt-hour plus a $.50 session fee but can incur additional costs for time spent in the space after being fully charged.

“By installing additional electric vehicle charging stations, the city is not only advancing its sustainability and resiliency efforts established in our general plan but also hoping to inspire others to do the same,” said Rolling Hills Estates Mayor Britt Huff. •

For more information, contact [email protected] or call 310-377-1577.