Steering Committee Sept 8
September 8, 2014 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
The Steering Committee is scheduled to meet Monday, September 8, 2014. The meeting will begin at 12:00 noon at the SBESC office in the City of Torrance located at:
20285 S. Western Ave, Suite 100
Torrance, CA 90501
To ensure a quorum, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
I. REPORT OF POSTING OF AGENDA
- ACTION: Receive and file
II. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF ANY CHANGES TO THE AGENDA
III. PUBLIC COMMENT
IV. OVERVIEW OF IMPORTANT CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS – 12:05 pm
V. CONSENT CALENDAR – action items noted, remainder are receive & file – 12:10 pm
- ACTION: Approve
B. GSE Solutions Contract Amendment
- Memo and contract amendment attached
- ACTION: Recommend Board approve contract amendment not to exceed $348,000 for 2 year contract ending December 31, 2014
C. Grant Opportunities
- SGC grant – scope and budget preparation underway – plan to submit in October
- Geothermal with UC Davis – Not successful.
- SBESC services to DWP – negotiating over budget and scope through Councilman Buscaino’s office
D. Transportation Issues
G. Dues & Assessment Receipts
- 3 Dues and assessment outstanding of 9/1/14 – Carson, Inglewood, L.A. City
- Dues only – Rolling Hills
H. Status of Work Program Presentations to City Councils
- Completed – Carson, Hawthorne, Lawndale, Lomita, Redondo Beach, Rolling Hills & Rolling Hills Estates
- September – Hermosa Beach, Inglewood, Palos Verdes Estates, Rancho Palos Verdes & Torrance
- October – El Segundo, Gardena & Manhattan Beach
VI. ACTION ITEMS
I. Complete Streets Comments – 12:10 pm
- Memo attached
- ACTION: Approve comments to be submitted to Metro to meet their September 18 deadline and forward to the Board of Directors for their information.
J. Board meeting agenda development – 12:15 pm
- September draft agenda attached – EEMIS Presentation & Cost of Power Supply in the South Bay, SONGS closure effect & Future Energy Needs for the South Bay???
- October – LA City Mayor & New Metro Chair Eric Garcetti – 5:45 pm to 6:15 pm
- ACTION: Provide direction on meeting presentations
K. Special Events ¬– 12:20 pm
- Possible Go See trips
- Tour of Gas Company facilities near Ballona Wetlands
- AQMD Lab Tour – overview of SCAQMD and their successes and challenges and a video. Proceed to a lab tour and then a display of some green cars. Up to 25 people. The lab tour consists of an overview of what the lab does, equipment and a sample test. No Mondays and not the first Friday. 2 hours – in Diamond Bar.
- LA Air Force Base Tour
- ACTION: Prioritize the possibilities for scheduling – October? April? July?
- November – Thank You Reception for our Volunteers
L. Organizational Review Schedule – Chair’s Priorities – 12:25 pm
- Budget – started on 8/28 with 1st meeting of Ad Hoc Finance Committee
- Quarterly Review of Strategic Plan – 1st quarter (2015) should be scheduled in October, 2nd quarter (2015) in January, 3rd Quarter (2015) in April, 4th quarter (2015) in July.
- Review meeting agendas for Steering Committee and Board meetings – TBD. Suggest October.
- Review/assess City Manager relationship – TBD. Suggest November timeframe, as we should have experience by then on how the relationship is and if improvements have been seen.
- Annual Review of Executive Director – suggest December timeframe
- Review attendance records of members at Board, Steering Committee and Measure R meetings – TBD. Suggest January.
- Succession Plan – TBD. Suggest April timeframe.
- Work Plan – April
- By-Laws update – TBD. Suggest May.
- ACTION: Provide direction
M. Approval of Invoices – available at the meeting – 12:35 pm
- ACTION: Approve invoices for payment
N. Legislative Advocacy – 12:40 pm
O. Reliability Issues – 12:45 pm
- Rancho Palos Verdes provided the only feedback from a request made to the city managers. It is as follows:
- W.A. Rasic Contractors is a subcontractor to SCE for work that requires excavation. Jim York had a recent issue with Rasic having a disregard for access to his private property. They were, not only blocking his driveway, but leaving trash and damaging his private property.
- Dahl Taylor Contractors (DTC) is another contractor for SCE doing work on Avenida Classica as it relates to the vault upgrades between PVDW/Hawthorne/Crest Road. The problem with this project is that the work has extended much longer than SCE expected resulting in inconveniences to residents, deteriorated work zone conditions and unfinished driveway approaches and parkways that are in unacceptable conditions. The delays and time extensions are wearing on the residents.
- SCE and their contractors/subcontractors are having a difficult time scheduling their work resulting in numerous expired encroachment permits where no work has been done between 90 to 100 days after a permit has been obtained.
- Further, SCE is about $100,000 in the rears on encroachment permit related fees (primarily inspection fees).
- ACTION: Information sent to SCE and PUC and will follow-up
VII. STRATEGIC POSITIONING ITEMS/ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES
P. Sustainability updates – 12:50 pm
- Report on SCAG Executive Directors’ meeting with Hasan Ikhrata
Q. Other updates since agenda distribution – 12:55 pm
VIII. SPECIAL PRESENTATION FOR CONSIDERATION
R. Homeless Initiative Update – 1:00 pm TIME CERTAIN
- PATH Proposal attached
- Confirmed – Jeremy Sidell, Jack Joseph, David Riccietello, Steve Napolitano
NEXT STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING – October 13, 2014 @ 12:00 pm
PLEASE CONSULT WEBSITE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THE MEETING SCHEDULES