Steering Committee Meeting
July 13, 2015 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Steering Committee is scheduled to meet Monday, July 13, 2015 at the SBCCOG/SBESC Office, located at 20285 S. Western Ave, Suite 100, Torrance, CA 90501. Lunch will be provided.
To ensure a quorum, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
I. REPORT OF POSTING OF AGENDA
- ACTION: Receive and file
II. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF ANY CHANGES TO THE AGENDA
III. PUBLIC COMMENT
IV. CONSENT CALENDAR – action items noted, remainder are receive & file – 12:05 pm
- ACTION: Approve
- Metro is renewing this contract with the SBCCOG at the continuing rate of $4000/month for a total of $48,000 for the year.
- SBCCOG Legal Counsel Mike Jenkins is reviewing the wording, which is a new format from Metro.
- Since the contract is 27 pages and mainly boilerplate, it is not included in the packet but is available on request and there will be a copy at the meeting.
- ACTION: Recommend Board approval pending legal review
C. Budget Follow-up: Contract Amendment with Jacki Bacharach and Associates
- The adopted 2015-2016 budget increased the compensation for Jacki Bacharach and Associates (JB&A) by 3.5%. Also, part of Kim Fuentes work had previously been compensated in a special agreement from grant funds not explicitly included in the JB&A contract. In the interest of transparency, since Ms. Fuentes is a member of the JB&A team, the grant funds for Kim Fuentes are now included in the JB&A Contract and will still be passed through to Ms. Fuentes.
- Amendment attached
- ACTION: Recommend Board approval
D. Renewal of Torrance Water Contract through Purchase Order for next 2 years @ new rate of $18,400/year (up from $16,500 – increased to maintain the ratio of 10% of the WBMWD contract)
E. Electric Vehicle Charging Station Siting and Installation (CEC grant)
- Kick-off meeting with SBCCOG and consultants (UCLA Luskin Center and Siembab Corporation) held July 6, 2015.
F. Legislative Advocacy
G. General Assembly Outstanding Checks – As of 7/6/15 – 2 – CSUDH and Opterra
H. Social Media Working Group Meeting
- At the June 11 meeting, the group heard from HERO’s experts who gave a presentation regarding their experiences with social media. HERO’s presentation was followed by Laura Langer of Jenkins & Hogin LLP who related her experiences regarding municipal social media policy. As a result of the meeting, Ms. Langer sent two sample municipal social media policies that were shared with the working group via our LinkedIn Social Media Group. The SBCCOG staff is drafting a social media policy for consideration by the SBCCOG Board.
V. INFORMATION ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
L. Green Building Challenge Update – 12:10 pm
M. Special Events – 12:20 pm
- LA Air Force Base Tour – Suzanne Fuentes is working on a date
- AQMD Lab Tour – overview of SCAQMD and their successes and challenges and a video. Proceed to a lab tour and then a display of some green cars. Up to 25 people. The lab tour consists of an overview of what the lab does, equipment and a sample test. No Mondays and not the first Friday. 2 hours – in Diamond Bar – September?
- Crisis Management Media Training – no recommendation from the City Managers
- July – Community Choice Aggregation
- Howard Choy, LA County Sustainability Office, will speak about the County’s plans.
- August – Jeffrey Prang, LA County Assessor confirmed
- September – ?
- October – Phil Washington, Metro CEO confirmed
- November – ?
VI. ACTION ITEMS FOR DISCUSSION
O. Ygrene PACE program – 12:30 pm
- Ygrene staff has sent the attached information to answer questions posed by the Steering Committee members at the last meeting and city staff.
- Response to questions memo; Ygrene summary; PACE comparisons prepared by Sacramento County, Bell Gardens and Coachella Valley COG; and draft MOU with the SBCCOG – attached
- Agreement between Ygrene and SBCCOG to be available at the meeting
- These documents have also been sent to SBCCOG Legal Counsel Mike Jenkins for his review and comment
- ACTION: If questions have been answered, recommend that the Board enter into the same reimbursement agreement with Ygrene as we have with HERO and Figtree and that these documents be sent to each city and requesting their consideration to enter an agreement with Ygrene
P. Homeless Initiative Update – 12:45 pm
- Report on meeting with Supervisor Ridley-Thomas staff on June 15, 2015 and progress to date
- ACTION: Provide direction on possible next steps
Q. Metro Service Council Vacancy and Letter to Metro re: Council Composition – 12:50 pm
- With the resignation of Jack Gabig, CEO of G-Trans, there is another vacancy on the Metro Service Council. Since the inception of the Service Council, there has been a seat for the municipal operators of the South Bay. Paula Faust, Deputy CEO of G-Trans, has been recommended by Torrance Transit and G-Trans to fill this seat.
- ACTION: Recommend that the Board nominate Paula Faust, Deputy CEO of G-Trans to fill the Municipal Operator seat on the South Bay Service Council
- In the Metro Board of Directors staff reports, when a Service Council member is nominated, there is an analysis given to the Board on the ethnic makeup of the Service Council compared to the ethnic makeup of the region that it is in. This is the only criterion that is considered. In the South Bay, while we believe that ethnic makeup is important, there are other factors that are also important – for example, the municipal operators’ representation, city representation, transportation management association representation, geographic mix, etc.
- ACTION: Recommend that the Board send a letter to the Metro Board, which addresses the desire for a diverse set of interests of Service Council members and not just ethnic diversity.
R. Measure R South Bay Highway Program (SBHP) – 1:00 pm
- Status of Implementation Plan Update & Summary of Project Requests from the cities – memo attached
- Consultant Selection for 2015 SBHP Implementation Plan Update – memo attached
- ACTION: Recommendation to be presented at the meeting for review and approval to take to the Board
- Complete Streets Policy Guidance – memo attached
- ACTION: Provide direction
S. Approval of Invoices – available at the meeting – 1:25 pm
- ACTION: Approve invoices for payment
VII. STRATEGIC POSITIONING ITEMS/ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES
T. Sustainability updates – 1:30 pm
- 2016-2040 RTP/SCS
- Upcoming meeting with Microsoft
U. Other updates since agenda distribution – 1:40 pm
V. Issues pending discussion at future meetings – 1:45 pm
- Hermosa Beach Measure R Project on Pacific Coast Highway
- Discussion and possible position on proposed local transportation sales tax Measure
- Reserve Policy Recommendation from Ad Hoc Finance Committee
- Social Media Policy
NEXT STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING – Tuesday, August 10, 2015 @ 12:00 pm
PLEASE CONSULT WEBSITE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THE MEETING SCHEDULES