Steering Committee Meeting
April 10, 2017 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
The Steering Committee is scheduled to meet Monday, April 10th, 2017 at the SBCCOG/SBESC Office, located at 20285 S. Western Ave, Suite 100, Torrance, CA 90501. Lunch will be provided.
To ensure a quorum, please RSVP to [email protected]
Added Item VI.C.
I. INTRODUCTIONS FROM THE PUBLIC
II. REPORT OF POSTING OF AGENDA
- ACTION: Receive and file
III. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF ANY CHANGES TO THE AGENDA
IV. REVIEW OF HANDOUTS
V. PUBLIC COMMENT
VI. CONSENT CALENDAR – action items noted, remainder are receive & file – 12:05 pm
- ACTION: Approve
B. Smart Mobility Tool No Cost Contract Extension with Urban Trans
C. Amendment 1 to West Basin Municipal Water District contract scope of work
- Amendment attached
- ACTION: Approve
D. Impacts of AQMP
- The chair expressed a concern that the new AQMP requires fleet conversion to clean vehicles for all cities and that this was an undue financial burden.
- Staff checked with Judy Mitchell and this is her response:
- This was an amendment to the AQMP by Sheila Kuehl. The amendment (which Judy voted against) was to seek legislation that would give AQMD authority to accelerate zero and near zero emission vehicles for public fleets. AQMD already has quite a bit of authority over public fleets but the rules are a bit outdated because the technology has advanced. See existing Rules 1191 to 1196 on AQMD website. AQMD staff is working on legislative language for a proposed bill. Judy is not sure it can happen this year since the deadline to submit bills has passed. In general a legislative change of this sort would require the public agency to acquire the cleaner vehicle when there is normal turnover of a fleet vehicle. Judy will keep us informed of the staff language proposed for the bill.
E. Progress on Special Purpose Grants
- Currently funded
- EV Charging and Multi-Unit Dwellings – CEC
- Microgrid Project in Carson – CEC
- Renewable Outreach – HERO
- Proposals with applications submitted
- Torrance Think Earth – AQMD – expected decision in April
- EV Resource Specialist for the South Bay – VW settlement funds
- Geothermal research with UC Davis – CEC
- Broadband initial implementation – DRAM settlement funds
- SBWIB environmental sustainability grant for Green Building Challenge
- Proposals Not Funded For Implementation
- Anaerobic Digestors to Electricity in Hermosa Beach and Inglewood – CEC
F. Special Initiatives
- Short Term Rental Task Force – June 7 next meeting.
- March 30 is webinar by Best, Best and Krieger
- Homeless Services – May 10
- Coyote Management – some time in June
VII. ACTION ITEMS
H. Metro Service Council Selection – 12:10 pm
- Memo, statements of interest – attached
- The terms for 3 seats are expiring – Ralph Franklin, Angie English and Robert Burlingham.
- 4 Nominations received in alphabetical order: Luis Duran, George Fiallos, Ralph Franklin and Meighan Langlois
- ACTION: Review nominees qualifications, interview those in attendance (3 minutes each) and make recommendations to the Board
- SBCCOG will add to our web pages (southbaycities.org and sbesc.com) information on integrated pest management information and other stormwater pollution prevention content for the Beach Cities and Peninsula Watershed Management Groups
- SBCCOG to be compensated up to $6000
- ACTION: Authorize the chair to sign the MOU and report to the Board
J. Renewable South Bay Partnership Launch – 12:35 pm
- Memo and letter – attached
- ACTION: Approve the Renewables South Bay partnership co-branded materials and decide who should sign the letter.
K. General Assembly Date for 2018 – 12:45 pm
- 4 Sponsorships outstanding as of March 28, 2017 – $12,500. Total cash sponsorship = $68,750
- Comment re: Less paper – CALCOG found that they had to go back to a printed agenda – only 25% of attendees used Guidebook, a conference app
- Carson has booked our regular date – February 23, 2018 – for their city anniversary celebration. We have booked their facility for March 2, 2018. We will keep Carson for March 2 while we are searching for other venues to compare on costs and technical support. Should we find another venue, we would look for availability for February 23 – our regular date.
- ACTION: Provide direction on the date of the 2018 General Assembly
L. Broadband Feasibility Study – 12:55 pm
- A draft report will be out this month for staff review
- City staff – I.T., Public Works, Public Safety personnel – have all been invited to a meeting on April 13 to discuss the report and next steps.
- Staff is recommending a series of monthly Brown Bag lunches starting May 24. They would start with a primer on language, cell towers vs. fiber, what are we missing out on, what other cities are doing. It would be an informal setting with the ability to ask questions. These would be free to the attendees and there would be no cost to the SBCCOG.
- ACTION: Approve scheduling Brown Bag lunches on Network Technology and Its Applications starting on May 24
M. Board meeting agenda development – 1:05 pm
- April – attached
- Honoring Stan Myles, retiring from AQMD
- Wayne Nastri – AQMD Executive Director – re: refinery issue and more
- Work Program for 2017-2018
- Pre-meeting Workshop – Sustainable South Bay Strategy workshop
- May – 2017-2018 budget presentation & President of El Camino College
- Honoring Jim Goodhart
- Broadband feasibility study presentation
- June – 2017-2018 budget adoption and election of officers
N. Nominating Committee – 1:10 pm
- It is time to appoint the annual Nominating Committee so that they can report at the May Board meeting.
- The Nominating Committee nominates the Chair, 1st Vice Chair, 2nd Vice Chair and 4 at large Steering Committee members.
- ACTION: Appoint Nominating Committee
O. CALCOG Report on Annual Conference – 1:15 pm
- Update on conference at the meeting
- Future Board meetings:
- June 8, 2018, 10:30 am to 2:30 pm SACOG Board Room 1415 L Street, Suite 300 Sacramento, CA 95814
- November 15, 2017 SACOG Board Room location likely – possibly 2 day retreat
- Regional Leadership Forum 2018 Likely the second week of March Monterey, California
- “Last Friday“ of the Month Check In & Update Calls for Board Members (Information Only) 3:00 to 3:30 pm starting April 28
P. Legislation – 1:25 pm
- Status Matrix – attached
- LAHSA resolution re: retaining federal funds for homeless services – attached
- Climate Mayors letter to President Trump – attached
- ACTION: Recommend Board support resolution and circulate the Climate Mayors letter to our cities for their consideration
Q. Approval of Invoices – available at the meeting – 1:35 pm
- ACTION: Approve invoices for payment
VIII. INFORMATION ITEMS
R. CCA Report – Christian Horvath – 1:40 pm
IX. STRATEGIC POSITIONING ITEMS/ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES
S. Other updates since agenda distribution – 1:45 pm
NEXT STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING – Monday, May 8, 2017 @ 12:00 pm
PLEASE CONSULT WEBSITE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THE MEETING SCHEDULES