Steering Committee April 14
April 14, 2014 @ 12:00 pm - 2:00 pm
The Steering Committee is scheduled to meet Monday, April 14, 2014. The meeting will begin at 12:00 noon at the SBESC office in the City of Torrance located at:
20285 S. Western Ave, Suite 100
Torrance, CA 90501
To ensure a quorum, please RSVP to [email protected] or [email protected]
I. REPORT OF POSTING OF AGENDA
- ACTION: Receive and file
II. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF ANY CHANGES TO THE AGENDA
III. PUBLIC COMMENT
IV. OVERVIEW OF IMPORTANT CONSENT CALENDAR ITEMS – 12:05 pm
A. SGC grant lobbying efforts
B. Environmental Programs report – 3 Platinum cities!!!
V. CONSENT CALENDAR – action items noted, remainder are receive & file – 12:10 pm
A. Steering Committee – March 10, 2014 meeting minutes – attached
- ACTION: Approve
B. Grant Opportunity
- SGC grant submitted
- SCAG did not receive funding for the PEV grant submittal of which we were a part. Re-scoping and re-submittal is being discussed.
C. General Assembly
- As of April 7, 2 sponsorship checks outstanding
D. Transportation Issues
- South Bay Boundary issue update – meeting with Metro Board members Pam O’Connor and Mike Bonin as well as Westside Cities COG Board members on April 22. Jim Goodhart, Jacki Bacharach and Steve Lantz attending for SBCCOG
- Monthly transportation update from Steve Lantz – attached
E. South Bay Environmental Services Center Activities Report – attached
F. Drive the Future – BEV project
- The AQMD’s lease on the BMW that they loaned us is up at the end of June so they are replacing it with a Honda Fit.
- Since we have so many people on the waiting list, we asked for the Honda Fit in April so that we could have 1 more household included than originally planned – utilizing 5 vehicles for two months until we return the BMW in June.
VI. ACTION ITEMS
G. Nominating Committee – 12:15 pm
- It is time to appoint the annual Nominating Committee so that they can report at the May Board meeting.
- The Nominating Committee nominates the Chair, 1st Vice Chair, 2nd Vice Chair and 4 at large Steering Committee members.
- Letters of commitment for officer and at large Steering Committee positions – attached
- ACTION: Appoint Nominating Committee
H. Personnel – 12:20 pm
- Contract position for the Deputy Executive Director – 11:30 am
- Memo – attached
- ACTION: Approve
- Updated Job Descriptions – attached
- ACTION: Recommend Board approval
I. Legislative Advocacy – 12:35 pm
- Legislative Matrix – attached
- April 30 – PUC Day in Los Angeles – attending for SBCCOG: David Lesser, Olivia Valentine, Jim Goodhart, Rob Beste, Ray Cruz, Jacki Bacharach
- Legislative Breakfast – May 14
J. Torrance Lending Library Agreement – 12:45 pm
- Memo and MOU agreement – attached
- ACTION: Recommend Board approval
K. Board meeting agenda development – – 12:50 pm
- April – draft agenda – attached
- May – Annual Budget Review, Nomination of Officers
- June – Budget adoption, Election of Officers
- July – Cost of Power Supply in the South Bay, cost and interconnections & SONGS effect & Future Energy Needs for the South Bay
L. Crisis Communication Workshop – 1:00 pm
- 2 years ago at the end of the General Assembly, we sponsored a crisis communication training for public officials in South Bay Cities. It was well received by the participants. We were contacted by the Program Coordinator who explained that they are currently going through an evaluation with their funders and would like a letter of support regarding how we perceived the value of the February 2012 training for our elected and appointed public officials. They would like to know about whether or not we found the training on managing public messaging and restoring confidence in government post crisis to be valuable for your team. A summary of the training is attached as a reminder.
- Your participation in this worthwhile effort is most appreciated. As a refresher, attached is a summary of what the 2-hour crisis communication training for public officials entailed.
M. Approval of Invoices – available at the meeting – 1:05 pm
- ACTION: Approve invoices for payment
VII. STRATEGIC POSITIONING ITEMS/ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES
N. Sustainable South Bay Strategy Updates – 1:10 pm
- Report on Toyota Forum re: Deployment of hydrogen fuel cell vehicle refueling infrastructure.
- Report on Larry Kosmont’s presentation on Economic Development After RDA – presentation @ http://www.kosmont.com/kosmont-companies/presentations/new-tools-for-economic-development-scag-community-economic-human-development-committee-meeting/
O. South Bay Environmental Services Center Programs – 1:25 pm
- SCE and SCG submitted their proposals for the 2015 budget year. The SBCCOG will have the same goal as last year and close to the same budget – may be a few thousand dollars more. Anticipated decision by the PUC – 6/12/14
- Staff is in the process of changing all of the SBESC e-mail addresses to southbaycities.org addresses. E-mails sent to the old address will be re-routed
- Reliability – update on any issues at the meeting
P. Possible Future Special Events – 1:35 pm
- Space X – 1ST PRIORITY – contacted Hawthorne City Manager for assistance
- Tour of LAX Airfield including Bradley Terminal – 2ND PRIORITY – 1st Thursday of the month – 9 am to 10 am. Limit of 30 people.
- Sea Lab & Desalination Plant in Redondo Beach – 3RD PRIORITY
- ONE IN TORRANCE TOO
- Tour of Gas Company facilities near Ballona Wetlands – 4TH PRIORITY
- Hawthorne Airport
- Possible dates – Thursday, May 8, 29 or June 12 in the morning
- ACTION: Provide direction on airport dates – June 5??
NEXT STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING – May 12, 2014 @ 12:00 pm
PLEASE CONSULT WEBSITE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THE MEETING SCHEDULES