The Steering Committee is scheduled to meet Monday, April 11, 2016 at the SBCCOG/SBESC Office, located at 20285 S. Western Ave, Suite 100, Torrance, CA 90501. Lunch will be provided.
To ensure a quorum, please RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org
I. REPORT OF POSTING OF AGENDA
II. ANNOUNCEMENTS OF ANY CHANGES TO THE AGENDA - ADD ITEM VII.U – NOMINATING COMMITTEE
III. PUBLIC COMMENT
IV. CONSENT CALENDAR – action items noted, remainder are receive & file – 12:05 pm
A. Steering Committee – March 14, 2016 meeting minutes attached
B. SBCCOG Treasurer
C. Committee Meeting Dates & Working Groups
- Homeless Services Committee – May 11, 2016
- Memo re: PATH’s mobilization activities distributed in 3/27/16 e-mail to Board
- Social Media Working Group – May 12, 2016
- Senior Services Working Group – May 24, 2016
- The Working Group met March 22, 2016. Guest speaker, Bob Bozanic, spoke about the pros and cons of Reverse Mortgages. Highlights included Rising balance loans, FHA loans; Homeowner retains title of home; and Non-recourse loans.
- LA County Department of Community and Senior Services provided a presentation on the New Freedom Grants. There will ultimately be 3 RFPs released. Currently not suitable for SBCCOG to participate – Knabe’s office notified that we believe that they have excluded interested parties.
D. General Assembly
- 9 Sponsorships Outstanding as of April 1, 2016
E. Monthly Transportation Update – attached
F. South Bay Environmental Services Center Activities Report – attached
- Green Building Challenge Update – 117 as of April 1, 2016
G. Commitment letters from new appointees to outside agencies
V. ACTION ITEM
H. Metro Service Council Selection – 12:10 pm
- Memo, bios and statements of interest in separate packet
- The terms for 3 seats are expiring – Jim Goodhart, Roye Love and Paula Faust. 4th seat to be filled with Devon Deming’s resignation.
- 8 Nominations received in alphabetical order: Robert Burlingham, Ernie Crespo, Elaine, Jeng, Leilani Kimmel-Dagostino, Roye Love, Rickey Lovely, Dan Medina, Charles Nelson
- Roye Love has re-applied; Jim Goodhart is not seeking re-appointment.; Paula Faust’s department head has applied to replace her (Ernie Crespo) ; Devon Deming, LAWA Transportation Coordinator has nominated Robert Burlingham to replace her.
- ACTION: Review nominees qualifications, interview those in attendance (3 minutes each) and make recommendations to the Board
VI. INFORMATION ITEMS
I. Special Events – 12:40 pm
- AQMD Lab Tour – March 30. 3 people attended. Comments?
- LA Air Force Base Tour ¬– being scheduled
- LB Container Terminal Tour of Automated Facility – April or May
J. Board meeting agenda development – draft agenda attached – 12:45 pm
- Work Program for 2016-2017 & 3rd Quarter Strategic Plan review
- Dues increase approval – 6.4%
- No other presentations for April because of workshop before the meeting
- PEV MUD report from Alex Turek, UCLA Luskin Center
- June Possible future presentation topics
- LAWA ground access improvements
- Gail Goldberg, Strategic Growth Council member
- The Gerald Desmond Bridge construction project
- Registrar of Voters on 2016 election – 1st time same day voting registration
- July or August Board meeting
- Board member sharing of their programs and projects for the coming year
K. California Energy Commission (CEC) Contract award – 12:50 pm
- SBCCOG was asked to join 2 different teams to propose on Accelerating Deployment of Advance Energy Communities. We were successful on one and not on the other.
- Award: Charge Bliss Advanced Renewable Energy Community for Disadvantaged Southern California Community – in Carson. SBCCOG a subcontractor for $25,000 for this $1.5 million project.
- Unsuccessful: UCLA Luskin Center award in Hermosa Beach
- This is a two-phase project. In phase I, beginning in July 2016, the team will enter into formalizing the site community, studying the electrical needs (demand, usage, EV charging), designing the systems (solar, batteries, controls, analytics), building the business case/financial methodology, and preparing a proposal for phase II. Only projects funded during Phase I may apply for Phase II in which successful applicants may receive up to $14M with the requirement for 100% match funding or up to $14M additional. In sum, it is possible to propose a $28M system.
L. Smart Mobility Tool Project – 12:55 pm
- To be named: “Travel Pal” – tag line – “Connect, Choose, Match”
- Website will be SouthBayTravelPal.com
- Collateral materials, graphic art design are underway as are identifying and collecting necessary mapping information that will be used on the platform
- Data needed from G-Trans, Beach Cities, Lawndale, Carson, Compton
- Initial outreach and focus will be on gathering data to initiate ridesharing for events
- SBCCOG staff has begun research to identify and develop a comprehensive list of South Bay venues and destinations that will be used to market and recruit “Travel Pal” users.
- Beta test to start April 11 for two weeks and with ‘soft launch’ the 1st week of May
M. Measure R – SBHP Quarterly Update – memo attached – 1:00 pm
N. Information Technology Services Upgrade Status Report – 1:05 pm
VII. ACTION ITEMS FOR FURTHER DISCUSSION
O. Metro Update on Proposed Sales Tax Expenditure Plan Deliberations – 1:10 pm
P. Committee on Disruptive Technology and Impacts to Cities – 1:20 pm
- Report at the meeting on possible issues that the committee would be addressing
- South Bay Net, a sub-regional broadband initiative
- Report on SmartGigLA Conference
- Depending on the interest (Howorth to chair) determine whether this should be a committee or working group
- ACTION: Provide direction
Q. Legislative Issues – 1:25 pm
- Legislative Briefing and Breakfast April 14 – Kurt Weideman to chair
- Legislative Matrix – attached
- ACTION: Recommend positions on legislation as listed
R. Continued Use of Anniversary Logo – 1:30 pm
- We have been using the 20th Anniversary logo for the last year. Some organizations continue special logos indefinitely.
- ACTION: Provide direction on whether to continue using the anniversary logo
S. Dues Increase – 2016-2017 – 1:35 pm
- Memo and spreadsheet attached
- ACTION: Recommend to the Board to increase the dues payments that cities made in 2015-2016 by 6.4% for 2016-2017 per the attached table.
T. Approval of Invoices – available at the meeting – 1:40 pm
- ACTION: Approve invoices for payment
U. Nominating Committee
It is time to appoint the annual Nominating Committee so that they can report at the May Board meeting.
- The Nominating Committee nominates the Chair, 1st Vice Chair, 2nd Vice Chair and 4 at large Steering Committee members.
- ACTION: Appoint Nominating Committee
VIII. STRATEGIC POSITIONING ITEMS/ANNOUNCEMENTS AND UPDATES
V. Sustainability Initiatives – 1:45 pm
- Comments to CARB on Clean Vehicle Rebate Program
W. Other updates since agenda distribution – 1:55 pm
IX. Closed Session – 2:00 pm
X. Contract for Management Services with Jacki Bacharach and Associates
NEXT STEERING COMMITTEE MEETING – Monday, May 9, 2016 @ 12:00 pm
PLEASE CONSULT WEBSITE IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT THE MEETING SCHEDULES